How to back up Personal Address Books in Outlook
Your Personal Address Book might contain e-mail addresses and contact information that is not included in an Outlook Address Book or contact list. The Outlook Address Book can be kept either in an Exchange Server mailbox or in a .pst file. However, the Personal Address Book creates a separate file that is stored on your hard disk drive. To make sure that this address book is backed up, you must include any files that have the .pab extension in your backup process.
Follow these steps to locate your Personal Address Book file:
- If you are running Windows Vista: Click Start.
If you are running Windows XP: Click Start, and then click Search.
If you are running Windows 95 or Windows 98: Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
If you are running Windows 2000 or Windows Millennium Edition (Me): Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
- Type *.pab, and then press ENTER or click Find Now.
Note the location of the .pab file. Use My Computer or Windows Explorer to copy the .pab file to the same folder or storage medium that contains the backup of the .pst file.
You can use this backup to restore your Personal Address Book to your computer or to transfer it to another computer. Follow these steps to restore the Personal Address Book:
- Close any messaging programs, such as Outlook, Microsoft Exchange, or Windows Messaging.
- Click Start, and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
Control Panel opens.
Note If you see the Pick a category screen, click User Accounts.
- Double-click the Mail icon.
- Click Show Profiles.
- Click the appropriate profile, and then click Properties.
- Click Email Accounts.
- Click Add a New Directory or Address Book, and then click Next
- Click Additional Address Books, and then click Next.
- Click Personal Address Book, and then click Next.
- Type the path and the name of the Personal Address Book file that you want to restore, click Apply, and then click OK.
- Click Close, and click then OK.
Note The Outlook Address Book is a service that the profile uses to make it easier to use a Contacts folder in a Mailbox, Personal Folder File, or Public Folder as an e-mail address book. The Outlook Address Book itself contains no data that has to be saved.